• To promote low and slow and barbecue in Australia and New Zealand.
• To create, define and implement a set of competition rules and categories that embrace the cultural traditions and ingredients of Australia & New Zealand, while still respecting and acknowledging the rich heritage of American barbecue culture.
• To ensure the rules and formats of ABA sanctioned competitions encourage participation and community growth.
• To provide support to selected national and international barbecue related events and promotions wherever possible.
• To create and continuously improve an ABA judging standard and method and also provide training for judges attending ABA sanctioned events.
• Have at least one senior representative of the ABA at each sanctioned event to oversee the format and ensure a fair and consistent competition and judging process.