Following on from their high scoring win in the beef category at the Bangalow BBQ and Bluegrass Festival, we asked Brett and Kurt who represented Team Yoder to share 5 tips for killer burnt ends. Here’s what they came up with:
• Start with a HIGH quality brisket with very good marbling (Wagyu Score 6-10) and make sure its at least 6kg if not more.
• Inject your brisket with low sodium beef stock to boost flavour.
• Spritz with water to maintain slow cooking times every 4 hours (high airflow pits may require more often).
• Placing the point ON TOP of the flat a few hours into the cook will slow the cooking process and keep the brisket in the collagen breakdown zone. We also use an a-maze-n-smoker on our Yoder YS Pellet grill to boost smoke during this period.
• Once your point is cooked and rested, cut into 3-4cm cubes and place into a tray, sauce with your favourite bbq sauce and then cook for another 3-4 hours until sauce has caramelised and excess fat has rendered.
Bonus competition tip – we prefer to use parsley for our presentation. A lettuce base tends to not be able to properly support a brisket and it shows up any excess sauce/rub more prominently.