Danny Mikes has been involved in barbecue his whole life. Fat Boys BBQ team are 3 time World champs, 3 time National champs, 8 time Texas state champs. 2014 was their best year in comps so far with 22 entries and 19 overall wins. They won the American Royal in 1997 and the very next year won The Jack Daniels Invitational. His son, Corey, joined the team in 2011 to make it a real family affair. Jamie cooks on Jambo pits, one mounted into a 24ft trailer with a 10ft porch. He is also the proprietor of Fat Boys BBQ restaurant in Temple, Texas.
Danny has won several awards for his barbecued lamb which is a less frequently seen category in the States. Here, he shares some tips for how he likes to cook it:
- Season with your seasoning of choice and let marinade in the fridge overnight
- Run your pit at 300 degrees
- Create a baste with vinegar, vegetable oil, more seasoning and chopped onion
- While the lamb is cooking, baste frequently with this mixture
- For the last hour of the cook, baste the lamb with a vinegar based BBQ sauce (not the onion mixture). This will help color.
- Run the pit at 300 degrees
- For bone in, cook until 120-125 for rare or 130-135 for medium
- For boneless, cook until 135 for rare or 145 for medium
To check out more of Danny’s competition adventures, visit the Fat Boys BBQ facebook page.