Format & Prizes
- Australian and New Zealand teams must compete in a minimum of 3 ABA Sanctioned Championship Round Barbecue Competitions (in Australia or New Zealand) within the 2022 Calendar year to be eligible for the overall National Grand Champion Team prizes and to receive a National Ranking in their respective National Series.
- Australian and New Zealand teams can compete in any ABA Sanctioned Championship Round contest and points awarded tallied on their own countries’ National Leaderboard. Other international teams are not eligible for the ABA Leaderboards.
- The best three Championship Series points from the Team’s best 3 competitions is tallied to reveal an overall Leaderboard score. Hand-ins that are not Championship Series Categories are not eligible for Championship Points, prizes or tally.
- Championship Points are awarded at 100 points for a Grand Championship win, with a percentage of 100 points awarded for each subsequent team placing. For example 20 team contest will be awarded 100 points for GC, 95 points for RGC, 90 points 3rd, 85 points 4th and so on down to 5 points for 20th place.
- National Ranking will only apply at the conclusion of the 2022 series with all leaderboard rankings throughout the year being a provisional ranking for tally purposes only. A team’s official National Ranking will be held for the duration of the following year.
- Maximum of 4 Team Members only eligible per team to receive individual trophies/prizes for Grand Champion.
- Only Australian & New Zealand resident teams are eligible for Australian Grand Champion, prizes and/or Australian or New Zealand Ranking for 2022.
- The team with the highest points score from their 3 best eligible contests will win the National Championship.
- In the event of a tie for a Top 10 placing, a count-back system will apply to break a tie in the following order.
ABA Championship Series Count-back System 2022
- Team with the highest aggregate number of teams beaten to win their 3 best GC’s will win the tie. i.e. Team 1, 3 x GC’s beating 30, 45, 50 teams = 125 teams beaten. Team 2, 3 x GC’s beating 30, 45, 49 teams = 124 teams beaten. Team 1 wins the tie breaker.
- Team with the most number of Grand Championship wins across the calendar year will win the tie.
- Team with the most number of First Place trophies in eligible categories across the calendar year will win the tie.
- Team with the most number of 2nd & 3rd Place trophies in eligible categories across the calendar year will win the tie.
The Barbeques Galore Australian Barbecue Championship Series winners will receive:
- Official Australian Grand Champion Team status. Will be assigned Team #1 and Ranked #1 in Australia. Eligibility for International competitions to represent Australia as Australia’s official Number 1 Team.
- $5,000 Cash (Presented via an oversized novelty cheque.)
- Team Trophy.
- Individual team member trophies. Maximum 4 total.
- Prominent perpetual accolade on ausbbq.com.au from 2022.
Additional Team Prizes
2nd Place – $1,500 Cash + Team Trophy
3rd Place – $1,000 Cash + Team Trophy
4th Place – $500 Cash + Team Trophy
5th Place – $500 Cash + Team Trophy
6th Place – Team Trophy
7th Place – Team Trophy
8th Place – Team Trophy
9th Place – Team Trophy
10th Place – Team Trophy